A Change to Alimony Modification in Florida?

A Substantial and Unanticipated Change to Alimony Modification in Florida Do you need to show a substantial and unanticipated change of circumstances to modify alimony in Florida?  Maybe not. The Telephone Game Alimony modification law in Florida is like the “telephone game” children used to play in grade school.  In the telephone game, a message

Read More »

Division of Assets and Debts | Divorce and Family Law in Sarasota, FL

My latest addition to the site: Equitable Distribution. In a Florida divorce, the division of assets and debts is called Equitable Distribution.  The first step in Equitable distribution is to classify assets and liabilities as either marital, nonmarital, or mixed.  Next the assets and liabilities are valued.  Finally, the assets and debts are awarded. Source:

Read More »

3 Key Changes in the New Tax Bill That May Affect Your Divorce

President Trump signed the Tax Cut and Reform Bill into law on December 22, 2017, representing the biggest tax overhaul since the 1986 bill signed into law by Ronald Reagan. While all American taxpayers can expect several changes to their taxes, if you are getting divorced or thinking about divorce, you should absolutely be paying

Read More »
Child Custody
Robert Marble, Esq.

My best divorce advice for good parents

My best advice for parents going through a divorce? It’s just like the instructions flight attendants give to passengers at the start of a plane ride. Divorce is traumatic. Even though my ex-spouse is still a good friend, getting a divorced after 20 years was traumatic for me.  When something traumatic happens, people have a

Read More »

Alimony Modification – Change in Circumstance

Alimony Modification – Change in Circumstance from When? In order to request an alimony modification, the person requesting the change has to show the following: There has been a substantial change in circumstance The change was not contemplated; and The change is sufficient, material, permanent, and involuntary. Many divorcing couples resolve their divorce by entering

Read More »

New Contempt of Court Form

The Supreme Court of Florida has adopted a new form to provide notice of a Contempt of Court hearing.  A Contempt of Court hearing is used to request the enforcement of a parenting plan (custody), child support, or alimony. The new “Notice of Hearing” form is designed to fix two problems with the old form. 

Read More »
Scroll to Top